Immediately after the race I took 4 days off and then tried to go out for an easy run on the seawall. After about 20 minutes I knew I should turn around because I heard a clicking and my leg/knee was in quite a bit of pain.
That weekend I headed up to Whistler for my friend Leslie's Pirate themed stagette. I left the my snowboard at home but brought my runners and YakTraxs excited for some winter running on the trails. Once we arrived I realized this would be a good reason to take a couple extra days off and recover. The weekend was a blast; my friends organized a fabulous weekend which included staying on Green Lake in a fantastic lake front house.
The first night we stayed in, cooked dinner, played board games and had some good quality girl bonding time. The next day Leslie's mom organized an awesome scavenger hunt for us through the village which meant 8 girls running around the village for three hours in Santa hats and matching gloves. We followed that up with some pirate costumes, a great dinner and some dancing.
The view from my bedroom where we stayed and the girls.
I was still feeling sore when I returned home so I continued to take some time of impact activity, instead focusing my time on weight training and stretching at the gym. After a few days the pain was completely gone when I walked so I decided to I attempt my Wednesday night spin class. Unfortunately shortly after starting this workout my knee/leg pain flared up again, I finished the class with no resistance and just spun out my legs. This was two weeks after my race so I decided it would be best to take a few more days off.
The next Saturday I couldn't help myself and I made my return to the North Shore. I hadn't run my favorite trails in almost three weeks and it was killing me. I did an easy paced run for an hour and a half, it felt great to be on the trails but my leg wasn't not pain free.
I knew it was time for outside help. I went to my doctor and physio to receive the bad news. 2-4 weeks of no impact i.e. no running, no spinning... I've been going to the gym to do the exercises the physio gave me but I'm itching to get back running on the trails. So now I wait and work on restraint.
It's not all bad when you can't run (this is me trying to remain positive) I've been trying to focus my attention on reading, walking/snowshoeing and catching up family & friends.
On Christmas Eve I got to leave work a bit early enjoy the superb weather we've been having; so Chris and I decided to go snowshoeing. We headed up to Dog Mountain for some mountain air and catch up - we didn't run and took it easy so most of it was pain free for me. Here are some pictures of our snowshoeing adventure. Happy Holidays!



No comments:
Post a Comment