Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Bushwhacking Barbies

This weekend marks the start of my 2010 race season. My season kicks off as part of the relay team Bushwhacking Barbies. We are doing a 50 km relay in which I will run 25 km and my partner Paula will mountain bike the same 25 km loop.

We are racing the Dirty Duo which was the first trail race I ever ran - oh memories. I ran it last year in 2 hours and 40 minutes. I hope my time this year is comparable since I have solid year of trail running under my belt. When I ran it last year it was the first race I'd ever entered and I was just hoping to finish. My only concern this year is that I have been off the trails December & January battling an injury but the past few weeks (with the exception of some olympic hangovers) I've been trying to build my milage in anticipation for this race.


The course is pretty technical, full of leg burning climbs and of course has some wicked descents. The positive is I know the area pretty good so mentally I'll know where to really turn on the speed and where to hold back.

Paula and I are out there to have fun and to prove that you can be a wicked awesome trail racer while having pretty pink nails. We've made a little bet with our friends Pricey and McGregor that we will beat them - fingers crossed the pink power will help us sail through this gurgling race.

One of my lessons learn last year was the importance of a taper...I will admit that I did not taper for this race - I only just finally committed to it this week. In fact this past weekend was the most I have run in months; 3 hours on the North Shore Saturday (at a very fast pace) and 2 hours on the trails on Sunday. Monday was a rest/yoga day, Tuesday I did a zone 3 workout with Pricey and tonight I did the BCMC. Thursday I'm going to take the entire day off and get my hair did and Friday I plan on an easy spin class to get the legs moving. Woot!!

1 comment: