Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Miwok 100km Ultramarathon

I'll admit it took me a couple weeks to digest... I'm on the list of  registered runners for Miwok 100km Trail Race.


Now that its sunk in and the holidays are winding down, the training begins. It's officially time to begin the pursuit of my next goal. 

My plan to run & finish my first 100km trail race nets out like this:

1. F,F & TB
Alignment of friends, family and perhaps most important training buddies. I even have two confirmed crew and two maybe crew members are lined up! I'm going to need all the support I can get to help me achieve this goal.

2. Solid Training Plan
A solid training plan. My training plan is something like this:
5 runs a week; 1x tempo run, 1x hill training, 1x speed work, 2x longer weekend trail runs (longer runs building for 3 weeks at a time and then having one week a bit shorter to allow for recovery)
Yoga x1 per week
Strength training x2 per week
3. Nutrition Plan
I've set a goal for myself...cook at home. Being a busy working girl (living alone) in the city it is often more convenient (& time efficient) to dine out rather then cook at home. However I'm well aware of the nutrition benefits to home cooked food.

Also I'm dedicated/focused on improving my nutrition during training runs and during recovery post workouts. Bring on the gels and recovery drinks! Oh boy can't wait!
4. Have a freaking awesome time!
Not many people attempt to run a 100km race or understand why I'm doing it. 

I can't offer much more then this; I love running, I love being in the trails, hearing the rain, rivers & waterfalls, seeing the sun shine through the trees, being disconnected from the world, and letting my mind wonder where ever it likes. I'm addicted to endorphins and the feeling of chasing down a dream. 
Plus I know how great it is going to be when I'm out there actually running this thing!!  I know the feeling of running across the finish line knowing that all your hard work and strong will got you there. And I love how great that first glass of wine will taste post run.

5. Sleep
Make sure that I'm going to bed at a decent hour every night to ensure I stay as healthy as possible

6. Write it down
I tend to forget what I've done in terms of training so I'm going to be recording every work out and the details of the workout to ensure I'm not over training and that I'm listening to my body.
Please share w/me any advice, tips or jokes (really anything) that will help me cross the finish line ;)

If you're looking for me I'll probably be out on the trails...running

K

7 comments:

  1. Let me be the first to say how in awe I am of you for tackling this, not to mention how proud I am of you too!

    Just awesome and I can't wait to see how it all pans out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woop! Woop! I have 100% confidence in you! As for tips etc,,,,, well i'm in for my first 100 on March 19th http://www.taraweraultra.co.nz/ so i'll let you know after that!!

    I can relate to your reasons for doing it. I can relate to other folks confusion to why we want to do it. Yes we are a bit mad. Yes we are a bit afraid. But to run is to be connected to a place long forgotten in our modern world and it is a place we are meant to be.

    I'm so excited for you Princess! Let's get to that finish line smiling!

    Yeee-haa!

    Merry Xmas and new year by the way. I'll be back on Twitter in 2011 with a new project so until then.......

    P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Go Go ! because you are a Go Get'er ! (yes, I am aware of my dorkiness) lol. BUT in all honesty I have all the confidence in the world that you can and will do this...even with a smile on your face.

    WHEN and WHERE is the finish line. I would love to be there to cheer you on as you cross that finish line.

    I will admit I AM one of those people who is a little 'confused, dumbfounded and astonished' by this goal of yours...BUT I also know that no one can tell you what kind of goal to go after. I am so proud of you for going after a goal that seems so impossible to many (the confused, dumbfounded and astonished). It is going to be a year full of excellence for you ! Health, Fitness and High Acheivement !

    “Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude.” -R.Marston

    “Excellence can be obtained if you:
    ...care more than others think is wise;
    ...risk more than others think is safe;
    ...dream more than others think is practical;
    ...expect more than others think is possible.”
    -Anonymous

    xo~Smeigle~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing. Can't wait to follow along with you on this incredible journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 100km?!?! what the hell are ya thinking!!

    HAHA!

    Fun training session last night mate - especially enjoyed the fact we both didnt want to run at the start then when we got to the top, we were like ... another 5 minutes? yeah ...

    Enjoy the rest of the month - please dont over train, ther will be lots of long back to back come march and april!

    SWEET!

    Pricey

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read your blog - but have yet to comment...100km!!

    Good luck with your training. I get the sense that this quote is the epitome of how you live your life - congrats! its easy to read but hard to implement.

    “Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.”

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let me give you a tip:

    don't hesitate about the training, the nutrition and others...%80 is in your mind and the %20 is physical.

    I'll explain: You should close your eyes and see yourself finishing it, you know that it will be hard, hard and hard, but it doesn't mean that you won't finish it. All you need is motivation, don't look for excuses to leave, there are a lot, just look for one to continue...

    A great motivaton can be stronger than all of the bars and energetic gels of the world.

    Just believe it!

    ReplyDelete