Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thinking of You Day


Today is Remembrance Day in Canada, a day to commemorate the sacrifices of members of the armed forces and of civilians in times of war, specifically since the First World War.

Remembrance Day is observed on November 11th every year to recall the end of World War I in 1918. This day has always been special to me because both my grandpa's fought in the war. Today it is particularly hard/special because my younger brother Travis is currently in Afghanistan fighting for our country.

I am not going to get political with my views for or against the war that's really beside the point.  I save my thoughts today for the positive; how brave my younger brother is to go into such a dangerous region of the world in an effort to help improve living conditions for the people that are suffering.  His time there is being spent training Afghan police and special forces.  Every time I have spoken to him since he has been there he has been nothing but positive about the experience and extremely grateful for the people, especially the children he is meeting and helping.

Today take some time in your day to remember what is important in your life; family, friends, health and happiness.  Keep your thoughts positive and do something nice for someone just because.

For my brother congrats and safe stay!


















Travis in the upstate New York summer 2009 at my Uncles camp.




Kolton (my baby brother), me and Travis on the seawall in Vancouver fall 2009.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. Thanks for sharing. I have been following your postings for a few weeks now. Fun. I grew up in Seattle, lived there over 30 years. Spent many weekends and just day trips in Vancouver. Great City!! Liked your recent Chuckanutt trail posting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading - blogging is new for me but its been a great way to track my tracking, compose my thoughts, work on goal setting and contact with so many other interesting people. Hope you keep reading:)

    I love the West Coast - you'll definitely get to hear about some more epic adventure around here - it's almost snowshoe season!

    ReplyDelete