Monday, March 15, 2010

Dirty Duo Race Report

Saturday was my first race of 2010 - heres how it went down.

the friendly wager
Team Pricey Runs (Chris Price + Chris McGregor) vs. Bushwhacking Barbies (Paula + I)
25 km trail run + 30 km mountain bike (girls get 40 minute handicap)
losers buy dinner

















race day
6:00am wake up, eat (oatmeal with apples and blueberries), pack and head to Jaycee House
7:30am arrive at Jaycee House check in, meet up with the other half of Bushwhacking Barbie's Paula and our competition Team Pricey Runs
8:00am start of race - GO!














As I began my run I noticed my heart rate was super high and I remembered why I love racing, it's exhilarating. I could see Pricey in front of me as we climbed the first slight up hill and reminded myself to race my own race. I managed to settled into a good pace as I approached Sea to Sky trail with Pricey out of sight I focused on the trail and getting in my zone.

The first 30 minutes of the race is a pretty steady climb I ran this section in silence, no talking just running through puddles in the pouring rain. I reached the gazebo aid station and continued onto Twin Bridges trail, it felt good to reach this flat section where I was able to get some lactic acid out of my legs. This is where I began running with my friend Glenn, brought back memories from last years Dirty Duo.  The middle section of both this years race and last years race (Fisherman's, Bridle Path, Hyannis Connector, Old Buck) we ran together.  I hadn't run with him in a while so we had a good chat which made the km's eased by.  When we reached Old Buck I popped on my ipod and set into a steady grind pace as we climbed the hardest part of this race. Thoughts of Pricey blazing up this hill motivated me to keep climbing.

When I reached the top of the Old Buck I hit the first signs of snow. It was cold and I was soaked to the bone.  After a bit more climbing I knew I was going to hit Ned's which is a really technical trail that I would be descending down. Thoughts of Team Pricey Runs began to drift out of my mind and I began to think of Paula waiting for me at the start/finish area. It was time to really turn it on and finish the back half of this course strong.

Ned's was insane it was covered in huge slushie/snowy puddles, the whole way down the trail.  You couldn't tell how deep they were or what lay in them and to tell you the truth...I really didn't care. My goal was to stick as close to Glenn as possible, pass as many people as possible and not think about my frozen legs/feet - more cold then they have ever been while running ever. To the mountain bikers - I don't know how you rode down this section, in these conditions. I started channeling my positive thoughts for Paula's ride. 

Next up Fisherman's trail to one of the last up hills of the race... Homestead.  Again I tried to focus my attention to my teammate (and making sure I didn't disappoint her) instead of thinking of the burn that has happening in my legs.  I power hiked most of this hill and once I reached the top I knew I was on the home stretch.  I had been running with people who were racing the 50km route and this is where the courses get different; they turn right I go left. It was the last time I saw other people on the race - I actually began to question if I'd gone the wrong way.

Back onto Baden-Powell trail and the last climb of the race (which hurt) and then right onto Diamond trail which wasn't even really a trail anymore it was more of a mud pit. Diamond trail was my last chance to give it everything I had left, I dig deep and just kept thinking about getting to my partner as quick as possible.

When I reached Jaycee House I was exited to hear the announcer say my name and that our team was in first place for the girls relay.  I tagged Paula who was patiently waiting on her wicked Pink Specialized Bike and she was off.

As Paula raced I had the opportunity to regroup my thoughts on my race - heres where I've netted out:

Overall fitness - felt good. The speed work I've been doing helped my confidence during the last 7ish km's of the race.  I just kept reminding myself that I run zone 3 for 40 minutes so I could finished the last 20 minutes of this race strong.

Leg/knee injury - felt good, even on the down hill I think the strength work I've been doing is helping to rebuild the muscle in this area

Race strategy - This is one of my favorite races because I know the trails in this area so well I know where to recover, were to push and where to hike/walk to conserve energy

Biggest opportunity for improvement - HILLS I will be hill training at least one a week moving forward

Back to the race - Paula rode amazingly to finished the race for our team and held our 1st place spot despite her bike breaking with about 5 km left - the back wheel had virtually stopped spinning (she was like Lance Armstrong when he finished Leadville 100miler with a flat - so proud of my partner).

Here is the epic pink bike in all its dirt and glory.

















Barbies always race with pink nails!

















This race reminded me why I love racing and goal setting but the number one reason I love to race is because I get to hang out and talk to other wicked racers. Time for some "shout outs"

Congrats to my friend Carolyn who won the women's 50km


















Great job Helen (1 of my favorite running buddies and coolest mom ever!!)


















Brad the human running and snowboarding machine


















And of course two of my favorite training buddies "Team Pricey Runs"






















In the end this is what it is all about, breaking through, achieving that sense of accomplishment from a complete effort, the utter exhaustion and feeling of satisfaction after finishing a hard race. And then cheering on other competitors, making new friends, being happy and healthy.

The times have not been posted yet so I'm not sure if we beat Team Pricey Runs (our time is within minutes of each other) but we all definitely had a great time so I'd say we all won something.
race outfit
Sugoi Black Jackie Knicker
Sugoi R+R Knee High Compression Sock
Lululemon Teal Cool Racerback
North Face Endurance Challenge Fusion Tee (flight series)
Sugoi Zap Jacket
Camel Backpack

fuel
Water
2 x Chocolate Accel Gels
1 x Kids Sharkies Package




5 comments:

  1. Wicked report! And well done both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job! Congratulations Barbies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Felicitations mon amie :)

    You are awesome, and I loved reading this post! My fingers are crossed that you beat the boys, but like you said...it was a win all around...way to go ladies :)

    ~xo Smeigle

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks was really fun. Can't wait for Diez Vista but I have a feeling it won't be as fun.

    PS - we did beat the boys!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just catching up on your recent posts! You didn't tell me about this race - congrats! You barbies did awesome. How is your knee/leg feeling?

    ReplyDelete