Last night I picked up my race package for the Haney to Harrison 100km road relay. While picking up my race package I learned that this will be my 1st and last time I get to run this race. It turns out next year they are moving the race to Whistler. After taking a moment to morn the end of this legendary race I began to get excited...I love Whistler, so this is actually fantastic news. I'm already scheming for next year.
Back to this years race. The race will be held on Saturday, November 6th, 2010. I'm part of a large group of girls heading to the relay from Vancouver. We will be making up 3 all girls relay teams with 8 girls on each team. The total relay is 100km and the relay leg distances range from 7.87km to 15.1km.
This will mark the 3rd year for the original team; ‘We Run Like Girls’ (this is the team I'm joining). Our crew will be joined by ‘We Run Like Girls Too’ and ‘We Run Like Girls Three’. I adore the team aspect that the relay is bringing to my running and the girlie bonding that this race is bringing out. Here is photo of the original 8 girls from - We Run Like Girls
Our group is made up of a variety of runners in term of our experience levels – for many girls, this is their very first race! For others, like our organizer extraordinaire Leah, this is simply another notch on her half marathon belt.
Leah came with me on my trip to San Francisco last month and also ran the Nike Women’s Half Marathon. It was her 10th half and she ran her little heart out to a PB half marathon time. In August she even ran the Great North Run (half marathon distance) in Newcastle, England! GO Stacker GO!! In addition to all this running and work she managed to pull together 23 girls and organized EVERY detail for us; hotels, dinners, rides, relay teams, relay legs, matching shirts...every detail.
We are all in our late twenties to mid thirties, climbing the corporate ladder mon-fri 9-5 and ready to smash this race and the take over the after party dance floor. Don't worry you won't be able to miss us on race day, as we will be sporting neon yellow Brooks long sleeve technical T's.
I'm running leg 2 which is described as follows:
Distance: 13.51 km (Very undulating to flat)
Garibaldi Senior Secondary to Stave Lake Dam. East on Dewdney Trunk Road. Flat to start, the road climbs steeply then becomes very undulating. Continue past Ruskin turnoff staying on Dewdney Trunk Road until Exchange 2 at Stave Lake Dam.
After my leg I'll change into warm dry clothes and follow my team as we complete the final legs. After the race is complete the party begins. We'll head back to the Harrison Hot Spring hotel to shower, get cleaned up, go "hot spring-ing", head for a big dinner and then hit up the rockin' after party with the 300 other relay teams. It is hosted in the Agassiz Agricultural hall which I'm told will be an "interesting treat" for us city chicks ;) The girls at the party last year.
Last pic from last year’s race, keep in mind this year will be 3 times as much trouble.
See you out there!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





Have fun girls. Wish I could join you.
ReplyDeleteSo fun! Can't wait. Great post, Katie! I'll be sure to re-tweet this :)
ReplyDeleteSee you dark and early Saturday!
Been reading your blog for a while now. I'll just say I'm 100% shocked the shirts are not pink or Lululemon.
ReplyDeleteSee you girls there.
ReplyDeleteI'm SO sad I couldn't do this race but I'm so happy you blogged about it =). I was in hot yoga yesterday and the instructor (Kathryn) said she is doing this... I'm wondering if she is part of your team ;). She also said that it would be moving to Whistler which is funny that you wrote about that because it also made me EXTREMELY excited to hopefully be on the team next year. I appreciate you inviting me to this. I have a wedding to go to tomorrow (which I just found out a week and a half ago) along with two papers and an exam to study for... This weekend would have been frightening if I couldn't do any homework =S
ReplyDeletegood luck Princess! xoxo
Love you
Miniwheat
Thanks ladies! We had so much fun. Next year maybe we'll have four teams;)
ReplyDelete