Wednesday, April 7, 2010

i run to be.

Last week I received an email that made me smile, blush, feel honored, proud and humbled - yep all that at the same time.











It was an email from my smart and talented friend named Sheryl. To ask if I'd join & help her with something completely new to her... 



















She needed a goal for herself - something to strive to achieve. And since she loves hearing about me and my "crazy" running so she was inspired to train and run her first half marathon. 
  • Would I help her? OF COURSE!! 
  • Would I run it with her? HECK YA!!
I am honored to be asked to be part of this experience - and proud that my hard work is inspiring someone else.

She sent me the link for a Disney half road marathon because she thought it looked fun. I'm not keen on road running but I know it is much less intimating for new runners and easier to train for then the trails (depending on where you live).  

I wasn't taken by the Disney race but there is one road race that I've had in my mind since last year.  And it had almost completely slipped my mind. I replied to her email with the link to the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco.  With the simply subject line - You in?











Why this road race?
I love San Francisco
It's for women 
Nike puts on great events

And you get a limited edition Tiffany's necklace for finishing









She checked out the website and without hesitating she was in.  I sent an email to a few girlfriends and in no time there was a group of cool chicks committed and excited for the trip!  The group is a mix of runners (Leah, Katherine, Grace, Caroline and me) and two girls brand new to running (Sheryl and the Napster) so the trip should be an amazing time - if we win the lottery.

This race sells out every year and runners are selected through a random lottery.  Fingers crossed our group get selected.  I already have a great plans for the weekend in my head.  

Katie's story board of the 2010 Nike Women's Half Marathon:

Matching pink Lululemon Cool Racerback Tanks


















Pretty pink hotel rooms















Shopping



















A celebration



















And music
The Treasure Island Music Festival happens to take place during the same weekend and I plan on buying at least a one day pass for it if I end up going. The lineup has not been announced yet but last year it was really good.














All pink/music aside.  I'm super excited for this experience.  My fingers and toes are crossed that we get picked in the lottery.  I'll be posting training guides and updates for the girls via my blog so stayed tuned for our progress as we near this fun race.

i run to be.  and we will have a blast!

5 comments:

  1. All looks like and sounds like the perfect getaway for you m'dear!

    But be honest... it's the Tiffany necklace/pendant that sealed it, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOT! you are going to LOVE this trip!

    fingers crossed you guys make the random draw - im sure you will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an awesome event and a great girl's getaway! Good luck and I hope you get to run the marathon.

    I participate in the Women's Half Marathon every year with a couple of friends and we always have a blast. Go Girl Power:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha yes Rob it is the prefect getaway for me - my only concern is if we don't get a spot!! The little blue box is definitely a deal sealer for me.

    Pricey fingers crossed for us both - which reminds me I'm posting your video from last year:) But I'm having a problem embedding it.

    Dian - hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am pretty sure that I am completely stoked about everything other then the 21.1 km that I have to run!

    Pricey- what did I get myself into?? Whoops ;)

    The Napster

    ReplyDelete