Sunday, June 20, 2010

Elfin Lakes ~

This weekend was first class. Saturday morning I hiked the BCMC with Kelley and Rylie (11 weeks old).














In the afternoon I headed out on my favourite trail in North Vancouver and ran 15km. My music for the run was an old playlist, so many old loves I had forgotten about. I tuned out the world and just ran like a little kid jumping over logs and roots and plain old ripping down the trail!

My friend Tom recently posted His Trail Rant. Thinking back to this post I notice during this run that no one was saying Hi back to me. That's when Mr. JT (Justin Timberlake) came blasting onto my ipod, he was "Bringing sexy back" and I had the fantastic idea that I would start "Bringing friendly back" so I start being really really smiley, happy and friendly loud whenever I passed people and in my head my new song "I'm bringing friendly back" blasted - so dorky but so fun!

Saturday night at 10pm I received a message from the fabulous Steph Corker Irwin - Was I interested in joining her to knock off one of her bucket list items? Did I want to run Elfin Lakes in the morning?

Heck yes!  That was on my list of things to do this summer, of course I'm in! We met at Park Royal (in our twin Jettas) and headed off for a fun filled day on the trails.

Elfin Lakes is located near Squamish, its an out and back run that ends up being about 23km in total.  I rolled up in my trail runners, running shorts, tank and a thin long sleeve.  Prepared for a typical summer run - it's officially the first day of summer tomorrow.  When we reach the parking we realized there is still tons of snow at Elfin Lakes - the snow is 2 meter high still. 

No jackets.  No yaktrax. No snowshoes. But obviously this wasn't going to stop us from an epic day of running so off we set. 
























Avalanches in mid-June?? Quite possible look at all that snow!


















Elfin Lakes shelter.  You can spend the night for $10 a night and head out exploring the back country further.


















Of course we had a photoshoot in front of the Shelter since the picture perfect lakes were covered by snow...

Take 1.


















Take 2.


















Take 3.


















Take 4.

My personal favourite.  I love when a good plan comes together.

















A totally fantastic run with an amazing new friend. I'm going to have to head back soon when the snow has melted so I can check out the views and lakes.

A really quick clip of us running beside the lake which looks more like a river since most of it is covered by snow. (Very hard to film while trying not to take a spill.)

Elfin Lakes, BC Trail Running on Vimeo.

5 comments:

  1. You're deeply nuts, but you know I think that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'm bringing friendly back" - wow I can picture you singing that while swinging from tree branches like Tarzan. You are a little nutty but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. Great video too....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are too cool!! Can't wait for the next adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete