Tuesday, February 16, 2010

red and white everywhere

This week the Vancouver 2010 Olympics kicked off in my home town beautiful Vancouver!  If you have been reading this blog you know I have been pumped about the Olympics for weeks.  If you know me you know I have been excited for the Olympics since the day Canada won the bid.

I love sports, competition, inspiring stories and the way Olympics can bring people together.  Let's overcome our differences and cheer on athletes from around the world. So what have I been up date? I have been navigating the sea of red and white that has taken over Vancouver.  I have never been a part of something so cool.  Everyone is excited and loving it - wish my brother Travis was here to be a part.














monday
PM yoga and checking out Olympic sights





















tuesday
AM circuit training with jump rope in between each set of exercises to keep my heart rate high
PM zone 3 run on treadmill 10 minute warm up then 3 sets of 3 minutes low end 3 minutes high end

wednesday
I got to hold the Olympic torch at work, this was just the beginning of my torch encounters
PM grouse grind
When I reached the base of the mountain it was pouring rain, I was feeling tired from a long day at work and everything inside me said "go home, stay warm and dry".  But I managed to pull myself out of the car, its funny because even on the days where it feels so hard to get moving once you actually start going you start to have more energy.  As you have probably heard the Vancouver local mountains have been receiving NO snow.  I was excited that when I reached the 3/4 of the way up point, it had started to snow - I want snow for a couple reason; I LOVE SNOWBOARDING, I want the bears to stay sleeping, I'm scared to death of global warming and I worry about forest fires in the summer because everything will be so dry.

Once I reached the top of the mountain I was confronted by a surprising thing...I had hiked right up into the Olympic torch relay! This resulted in me being stuck at the top of the mountain (in a snow storm freezing cold) for an hour but I loved it!



























thursday
PM zone 5 on treadmill 10 minute warm up then 4 sets; 3 minutes at high end of zone with 6 minutes of recovery in between followed by a 10 cool down and stretch. Overall I felt good but my legs were definitely a bit fatigued.  Post workout I met a friend for dinner and we went to check out LiveCity Yaletown to watch the torch relay arrive dt Vancouver.

friday
AM crossfit circuit 4 sets of; 20 pushups, 20 sit-ups, 50 jumping jacks, 20 burpees and then 20 minutes on bike to spin out the legs; high turn over low resistance
PM because it was the eve of the Olympic opening ceremonies I didn't have much time after work for an intense workout.  Instead I got my bike out and rode around the city for a bit and people watched, it was a relaxing way to end the work week and a great way to kick off my Olympic weekend!

I watched the opening ceremonies from a bar in the city which had an electrifying atmosphere, after the ceremonies finished we made our way to see the Bell Ice Cube, Saskatchewan House and Masion de Quebec. Everyone in the city was crazy!














saturday
I'll admit I had high hopes of getting up early and throwing down 2 hours on the trails. However I didn't managed to drag my butt out of bed until 11ish (late night celebrating). I out stuck watching speed skating - why was it so captivating? I couldn't leave the TV screen - I was totally mesmerized!! Not to mention I fell in love with Sven Kramer. When I finally managed to get going I headed to meet my friends at Robson and Thurlow for a wicked fun time dancing in the street (click here to see what I mean)!!  I can't believe how many people turned up.  I must admit I didn't actually know the dance that you'll witness in that video but it didn't stop me from dancing with them...  I've never been one to stand on the side line and I've always loved dancing so I figured - why not? I wish there was a video of me laughing because I was hysterically laughing at myself.  The dance was brief; only one song to my disappointment and then I ventured to my gym where I knocked out an hour and thirty minutes of zone 1 training on the treadmill.

PM we had people over to our house and then I went out to celebrate the Olympics again - opps.

sunday
rest day, after two late nights I knew as soon as I woke up that this day would be a workout write off and I was completely cool with that.  My girlfriends; Nicole (smeigel), Nicole (napster) and Steph and I went to Robson Square to watch a friend perform, then headed to Yaletown to watch the luge event at Yaletown Brew pub. After that I visited Fan-couver (Yahoo House) and then to Mizuno house which was actually really disappointing, they had sent me an email inviting me to come and speak with their experts and I had a bunch of questions lined up but no one working there was able to help me :( They did give me a small Mizuno stuffed whale so I guess it wasn't a total waste.

PM the highlight of my weekend!  I got to attend the Victory Ceremony for the Olympics.  I had front row tickets which was awesome.  The athletes I was most excited to see:

Jennifer Heil, Ladies Moguls Silver Medalist - shes Canadian!!  I love wicked chicks and I love moguls Sven Kramer, Men's 5000m Speed Skating Gold Medalist - I flat out love him!
Shannon Bahrke, Ladies Short Track Speed Skating Bronze Medalist - Super freaking cute, nice and she has PINK hair...I heart Pink.  Photos below I got to met her.  She was saying goodbye to her lovely family it was a great moment to be a part of.  They were so proud of her and overjoyed for her.
Apolo Ohno, Men's Short Track Speed Skating 1500m Silver Medalist - I follow him on twitter and remember him from past Olympics

The musical entertainment was the lovely Nelly Furtado who sounded wonderful - loved her dress an awesome bright pink little number.

Overall I can't complain my week was pretty outstanding:)  Photos of my athletes below (and one of me sitting in a giant E).

















No comments:

Post a Comment