Wednesday, February 17, 2010

stay hungry. stay foolish.

Sometimes in life we all feel a bit lost whether it be in life, love or work. We go through periods of joy, pain, sadness, excitement and loss. Yesterday was a day of sadness for me I'm not going to get into the details but it made me really stop to think about life. I surround myself with inspiration to help me through the times like these. It made me think about a question I love discussing.

If you could spend the day with anyone on earth, who would you pick and why?

For me the answer is easy - Steve Jobs - this video sums up why I'd picked him.


I think he is brilliant and so inspirational for me. I've typed out some of my favorite things he said that I will look back on when I need to - they are below for you too :)
  1. Follow your curiosity and intuition, it will turn out to be priceless later on. 
  2. It is impossible to connect the dots looking forward. But it is very clear looking backwards years later; you can connect them. Trust that the dots WILL connect in the future. Believing that the dots will connect down the road will give you the confidence to follow your heart even when it leads you off the well worn path and that will make all the difference. All things happen for a reason learn from them. The most successful people in life have often gotten there by over coming obstacles. 
  3. The only thing that kept me going was I loved what I did. You've got to find something that you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do truly great work and the only way to do that is to be truly satisfied. If you haven't found it yet keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. 
  4. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked there is no reason not to follow your heart. 
  5. Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped with dogma which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. 
Please comment - share with me - "Who would you select to spend the day with and why?"
Grouse Mountain. Feb 17th.  Breathtaking.


5 comments:

  1. Jamie Oliver.

    Amazing person using what he loves - cooking - to try change the world for the better.

    People need to be educated on proper well balanced meal choices, eating local fresh foods.

    http://www.jamieoliver.com/campaigns/jamies-food-revolution

    can't wait to see what other say - great thought provoking topic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to clarify - im not doing this for the reward posted above!

    Ive never really been one for the 1 person you sould spend a day with, or the 1 favourite song or artist, 1 favourite food types of questions as my tastes and interests are too varied to do any one person/thing justice.

    The inital reaction when you ask this question, the one gut feeling of people I would really like to spend my time with is my family.

    My sister Kelly, hubby Marty and my gorgeous neices Amelia and Libby. I havent seen them for over 2 years, and if had the chance to spend one day with anyone it would be them, the Barrett family :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexandre Billodeau because he is an accomplished athlete and yet is humble and puts others before himself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I wasn’t expecting to read your post and get all emotional!

    So if I had to pick someone... Obviously it would be Martha Stewart... (Just Joking, I prefer Gordon Ramsey)

    But really- there are probably more people who have passed away that I wish I could meet, but if I were to pick someone living I would be inclined to pick Paul David Hewson, aka, Bono. He is a musician with talent, integrity, intelligence and heart.

    Bono consistently impresses his fans by his extraordinary performances. U2 is known for setting the standards using technology and keeping their performances fresh and exciting.
    Bono is also an activist, who has taken a huge interest in Africa. He helped create and continues to promote ‘Product RED’ to help raise funds globally for AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.

    He is a pretty amazing celebrity who has been around the block. I think he would have a lot of interesting conversation to offer!

    Nicole (the napster)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a killer post, Princess-in-Training:)
    I'd love to hang with Seth Godin for a day. In my ambitious state to create a (happiness) movement, I think his wisdom would be priceless and oh-so-appropro. I want to learn how this dude thinks and what makes him tick! And I adore his socks!
    (A close second would be yoga on the beach with Jason Mraz!)

    PS - you write a stellar blog. I'm sorry to hear you had a not-so-awesome day, but the power of opposites will make good days THAT much better!

    ReplyDelete